Drug is used for the treatment of schizophrenia in the world medical practice. This medicine has been approved by FDA to treat severe mental disorders and stop a process of the disorder of thinking and cognitive functions.
Abilify is a drug of the new generation to treat schizophrenia. The medicine contains an active ingredient Aripiprazole approved by FDA in 2002.
Abilify provides a specific action not peculiar for most classical neuroleptics. It bonds to dopamine and serotonin receptors but its action is not constant. Aripiprazole agitates neurotransmitters during their deficit in the neurons of the central nervous system and blocks the activity of neurotransmitters during their excessive amount. This action helps to better control the symptoms of schizophrenia and others mental disorders.
A stable emotional state can be achieved by using Abilify, and a disorder of thinking can be also stopped. The drug provides a prolonged sedative action, and therefore it is used during the treatment of the acute psychoses and panic/bipolar disorders.
Indications for the use
- Treatment of acute attacks and supportive therapy of schizophrenia
- Treatment of acute manic episodes during bipolar disorder
- Maintenance therapy during chronic bipolar disorder
- Acute psychosis
- Combination therapy for major depressive disorder
In what dose is Abilify used?
The tablets of Abilify are taken once per day regardless of meals to treat mental disorders. An induction dosing of Abilify is 15 mg. If a significant improvement of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder symptoms did not occur, Abilify may be increased up to 30 mg per day. The tablets of Abilify may be used with the interval at least 24 hours.
The standard therapy of the acute panic disorders lasts for 3 to 12 months. The treatment may last for up to 6 months during chronic bipolar disorders or schizophrenia.
Abilify is used in the dose of 5 mg per day as a n addition to the basic treatment during the combined treatment of the major depressive disorder.
There is a medical data about the overdose with Abilify(during the use of more than 150 mg within a day). The signs of the overdose are considered the following symptoms: increased blood pressure, somnolence, tachycardia, loss of consciousness, and psychomotor agitation.
The vital body functions should be controlled and a maintaining therapy should be used in a hospital during the overdose.
- Using Abilify with tricyclic antidepressants can enhance a risk of the side effects in the gastro-intestinal tract and cardiovascular system
- Using Abilify with benzodiazepines may inhibit a respiratory center
- Do not take Abilify with diuretics because their action is increased, and this can cause a severe form of hypotension
- The simultaneous use of Abilify with analgesics enhances a pain-killer effect
- Patients under 18 years old and women during pregnancy/lactation are contraindicated to take Abilify
- If you have recently had myocardial infarction, stroke, or you have severe diseases of the cardiovascular system, Abilify should be carefully used in the minimal dose, and under cardiologist’s supervision
- Patients with COPD or bronchial asthma may be not prescribed Abilify. Consult a physician.