Cholesterol fulfills many useful functions in the body but its excessive amount is harmful and even dangerous for the human health. In case of the excessive level of cholesterol, it is accumulated in the vessels, and this may cause an infarction. In order to reduce the level of cholesterol and prevent the cardiovascular diseases, patients are prescribed Crestor.
Crestor is a specific medicine from a group of statins which lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood and a risk of the cardiovascular diseases. According to the medical studies, Crestor acts stronger than most statins, and therefore it is a first-line medicine for the treatment of hypocholesteremia.
The pharmacological action of Crestor occurs in liver where a synthesis of cholesterol and catabolism of lipoproteins of low density happens. It enhances a metabolism of bad cholesterol LDL, so that its concentration drops in the blood.
The therapeutic effect of Crestor depends on the daily dose of the drug and liver functions. Using Crestor, it is possible to achieve a stable reduction of the cholesterol level by 20-30% within 2-3 months, and it will significantly lower a risk of infarction or ischemic heart disease.
Indications for the use
- High cholesterol level in adults
- Inhibition of atherosclerosis.
- Prevention of the first and repeated infarction
- Prevention of Ischemic Stroke
In what dose is Crestor used?
A therapeutic effect of Crestor is maintained only during a regular use of the drug, and therefore if your doctor prescribed you the medicine, dispose yourself to a long treatment.
As a rule, the treatment begins from the minimal daily dose of Crestor 5 mg. The oils can be used at any time, before and after meals. The main rule – do not break or chew the pill.
A patient should take blood tests for cholesterol in 4 weeks and the dose should be adjusted according to the results. The standard therapeutic dose of Crestor is 10-20 mg per day for an adult patient.
The use of Crestor 10-20 mg per day does not cause a medical addition and a development of the tolerance.
If the use of Crestor is abused, and several daily doses are taken, its pharmacological characteristics will not be changed. In case of the probable overdose, there is a symptomatic treatment, and the functions of kidneys and liver are controlled. The intensity of the side effects is not increased during the overdose.
- Do not take Crestor in combination with cyclosporine and antacids
- Using Crestor with indirect anticoagulants, there is a risk of bleedings, and so the medicines are not used, or the functions of the hematologic system is controlled.
- Patients under 18 years old, pregnant women and women during lactation are not prescribed Crestor
- Crestor may be contraindicated for patients who have aptitude to the development of myopathy. An individual approach for the treatment and a doctor’s control is required
- Crestor is contraindicated during diseases of liver on active phase, during the use of cyclosporine, and intense dysfunctions of kidneys.