What is Flagyl?
Flagyl belongs to the antibacterial drugs of the broad action. But it differs from the classical antibiotics by the mechanism of the pharmacological action and field of the use. The active ingredient of Flagyl leading to the death of microorganisms is called Metronidazole. This ingredient is the most effective in the treatment of the anaerobic microorganisms and protozoa infections.
The active ingredients of Flagyl are quickly absorbed in the intestine and spread in the blood plasma and organs. Most part of the active ingredients is excreted from the kidneys, in 10-12 hours after the use.
Who should take Flagyl?
Flagyl is prescribed patients during infectious diseases caused by the disease-causing microflora:
- Protozoal infections (trichomoniasis, amebiasis, amoebic dysentery)
- Pneumonia, sepsis, abscess in the lungs
- Genitourinary infections
- Gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer caused by Helicobacter
The drug is also used for the prevention of anaerobic infections during surgeries on the abdominal cavity organs and organs of the urinary system.
How to take Flagyl?
Most infectious diseases can be neutralized within 7-10 days. Therefore, Flagyl is not used for more than 2 weeks. It provides a fast result even during the use of the low doses.
A standard therapeutic dose for adults is 500 mg of Flagyl 1-3 times per day. Children are prescribed a lower dose according to the body weight. The maximal one-time dose for a child at the age of 12 is 250 mg, and a daily dose is 1000 mg.
During some diseases, such as trichomoniasis in men and women, Flagyl 2 g may be used once. But if there are contraindications or any restrictions, it is better to have a complete course of the treatment and start taking lower doses within 7-10 days. This will remove a load on liver and kidneys.
What are side effects?
Flagyl is rather well tolerated, and the side effects do not bring discomfort. The use of the drug is often accompanied by the following symptoms: metallic taste in the mouth, nausea, skin rash, and itching. Many patients have a different color of urine, it is darker, or even brown during the treatment. It is not dangerous and a medical intervention is not required.
If a woman was prescribed Flagyl suppositories, burning may be felt after urination, unpleasant sensations or light itching may happen in the genitals after the use of the suppositories.
- A prolonged treatment should be controlled by a doctor. It is necessary to regularly check the functions of hematosis and take the urine test
- Avoid a consumption of the beverage drinks during the treatment
- If trichomoniasis, do not have sex during the treatment. A treatment of both partners is obligatory in order to avoid a relapse
- The use of Flagyl is contraindicated for patients with the following disorders: renal failure, serious diseases of the blood or hematological system, serious diseases of the central nervous system.