Hydrocodone has been approved by FDA for the treatment of severe painful syndrome. There are a lot of effective opioid analgesics of the new generation, but this drug causes fewer side effects and belongs to many anesthetic and anti-inflammatory products.
Hydrocodone is an opioid analgesic which is synthesized from two natural analgesics: codeine and thebaine. It effectively reduces pain by means of the interaction with opioid receptors in the central nervous system and spinal cord. Using Hydrocodone enhances a painful threshold and a transfer of the painful impulses becomes slower through the central nervous system.
Due to the high level of the pharmacological safety, Hydrocodone is often used in the combined therapy of pain with non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs.
Hydrocodone reduces pain as well as inhibits cough. It reduces a tone of the muscle in the respiratory system, due to which the amount of spasms is reduced. this way, Hydrocodone in low doses may be used for the treatment of coughing.
A pain-relieving effect of Hydrocodone occurs quickly within 20 minutes after the peroral use of the therapeutic dose. The drug action lasts for just 4-6 hours but do not take the tablets of Hydrocodone often. Due to the active interaction with opioid receptors, patients taking high doses of Hydrocodone often experience a medical addiction.
Indications for the use
- Chronic/acute pain
- Pulmonary tuberculosis (in combination therapy)
In what dose is Hydrocodone used?
To reduce an acute pain, patients are prescribed Hydrocodone 2,5 mg 4-6 times per day. Depending on the intensity of the pain-relieving effect, the dose can be adjusted. The maximal one-time dose of Hydrocodone is 10 mg, and the maximal daily dose is 40 mg.
Using Hydrocodone with acetaminophen in the combined therapy, the dose of both drugs is reduced.
Do not take Hydrocodone more than 28 days because the longer use of the tablets may cause a medical addiction.
Patients sensitive to opiates may experience the overdose by taking Hydrocodone in the dose of more than 60 mg per day. The overdose will cause asthma attack, intoxication, sleepiness, coma, tachycardia, and side effects in the cardiovascular system including cardiac attack. In case of the overdose, it is necessary to have a gastric lavage and visit a doctor.
- Do not take Hydrocodone with other narcotic analgesics and drugs inhibiting the work of the central nervous system
- Hydrocodone may be used with non-narcotic analgesics, NSAIDs, and drugs for cough
- Alcohol consumption is prohibited during the use of Hydrocodone
- Do not take Hydrocodone during respiratory distress, alcohol and/or drug intoxication, high sensitivity to the active ingredients including codeine
- Women during pregnancy and patients under 18 years old are not recommended to take this drug
- Hydrocodone should be carefully used during infectious diseases of intestine, bronchial asthma and kidney diseases.