Epileptic attacks may have different manifestations depending on the etiology, severity of the affections of the sections of the brain and central nervous system. Depending on the type of the attack, it is necessary to select a medical product. A drug Klonopin will better do during the attacks of the generalized type.
Klonopin is an anti-epileptic product which interacts with benzodiazepine receptors and reduces the convulsive attacks. The drug contains an active ingredient Clonazepam.
Klonopin is effective only during the generalized epileptic attacks. It seldom is effective during tonic clonic partial attacks. Therefore, before buying Klonopin it is necessary to have a medical examination and detect a type of epilepsy and cause of this neurological disease.
The pharmacological action of Klonopin consists in the reductions of the neurons agitation in the central nervous system. This drug enhances the activity of gamma-aminobutyric acid and increases the sensitivity of benzodiazepine receptors to this acid. The frequency of the attacks is reduced under the action of the drug and they pass easily.
Klonopin is well taken from the gastro-intestinal tract and a peak of the concentration of Klonazepam is achieved in 1-2 hours in the blood plasma. The drug is excreted by mainly kidneys, and therefore patients with kidney diseases should take Klonopin in minimal doses.
Indications for the use
- Seizures of generalized type: salaam spasms, atonic seizures, infantile spasms
- Insomnia (especially during organic brain lesions)
- Muscle hypertonicity
- Psychomotor agitation
In what dose is Klonopin used?
The minimal daily dose of Klonopin is 1,5 mg. The daily dose is divided into 3 equal parts and taken every 8 hours between meals. If any therapeutic effect is absent within 7-10 days after the beginning of the treatment, the dose of Klonopin is increased. The maintaining dose of Klonopin is 6-8 mg per day in the treatment of epilepsy in adults.
The maximal daily dose of Klonopin is 20 mg for adults but this high dose is prescribed only if there are no contraindications and side effects.
The overdose of Klonopin may occur after the use of 60 mg within 24 hours. The overdose symptoms are hypersomnia, decreased blood pressure, vomiting, coma, increased seizures. If the overdose signs appear, it is necessary to go to a doctor as soon as possible.
- Klonopin enhances the action of the muscle relaxants
- Caffeine weakens a sedative action of Klonopin
- Cimetidine may cause side effects in the central nervous system during the interaction with Klonopin
- Using Klonopin with drugs inhibiting the central nervous system can cause side effects
- There is a risk of the development of a medical addiction during the use of Klonopin. Therefore the drug should be used in the minimally effective doses and under doctor’s control
- Alcohol is prohibited during the treatment because it will lower the efficiency of Klonopin and/or cause severe side effects
- Pregnant women should not take Klonopin
- Klonopin is contraindicated during chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, acute respiratory failure, glaucoma, alcohol or narcotic intoxication.