Inborn or acquired disorder of metabolism can cause a crucial increase of the cholesterol level in the blood. The high level of cholesterol forms favors a formation of the dangerous tumors on the walls of the blood vessels. Therefore, if you are diagnosed a high level of cholesterol, it is necessary to take Lipitor as soon as possible.
Lipitor is a medicine of the new generation to clean the blood plasma from “bad” cholesterol. It contains an active ingredient Atorvastatin.
Lipitor blocks the work of HMG-CoA reductase enzyme which takes part in the synthesis of cholesterol and some other lipids. The level of bad cholesterol is reduced, and the level of good one (useful for the blood vessels) is increased.
To enhance a therapeutic effect of Lipitor, it is necessary to stick to a diet with low level of the vegetable and animal fats.
The cholesterol level is reduced in more than 80% of patients within 3-4 months of taking Lipitor, and the size of the cholesterol plaques is reduced on the walls of the blood vessels, and the work of the cardiovascular system is improved. A regular use of Lipitor lowers a risk of myocardial infarction, venous thrombosis, and ischemic heart disease by two times.
Indications for the use
- Primary hypercholesteremia
- Abnormally high lipid levels
- Combined Hyperlipidemia
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases: ischemic heart disease, hypertension, angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, stroke
In what dose is Lipitor used?
The treatment of hypercholesteremia is started from the minimal daily dose of Lipitor 20 mg. The pills are used once per day regardless of meals. The first results of the treatment should appear within 2 weeks. According to the results of the blood test, it is possible to detect a cholesterol level and make a decision about changing the dose.
If it is necessary to enhance the therapeutic effect, the daily dose of Lipitor is increased by 10 mg every week. The maximal daily dose of Lipitor is 80 mg. The maximal therapeutic effect is achieved in 4-5 weeks of the treatment, and then this effect is maintained by a regular use of the pills.
Using more than 80 mg of Lipitor per day increases a load to the cardiac muscle, and therefore there is a chance of the appearance of the unwanted symptoms in the cardiovascular system: tachycardia, high blood pressure, and others. If these side effects appear, stop taking Lipitor and have a maintaining therapy.
- A concentration of atorvastatin may be increased in the blood plasma during the simultaneous use with immunodepressive, antifungal drugs, and some antibiotics. As a result, there is a risk of the development of myopathy and side effects
- The efficiency of the peroral hormone contraceptives is reduced due to the simultaneous use with Lipitor
- A pharmacological efficiency and safety of Lipitor is not studies in children under 16 years old. But in urgent cases, children over 8 years old are allowed taking Lipitor in low doses
- If you began to take Lipitor, check the liver functions regularly (once per 2 weeks)
- If renal failure, liver cirrhosis, or chronic alcohol hepatitis, Lipitor is contraindicated.