If a prolonged depression bothers you and you cannot cope with an emotional frustration, Paxil will help you. This product has been approved by FDA for the treatment of the depression and anxiety, and it helps million people to cope with this illness every year.
Paxil is an antidepressant from the group of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. It has an intense anti-anxious and antidepressive action but it has a bicyclic structure, so that it differs from most modern antidepressants.
Paxil contains an active ingredient Paroxetine. A pharmacological action is conditioned by the fact that Paxil is able to selectively block a reuptake of serotonin, and this causes a high level of this ingredient in the brain. In case of the increased serotonin level, its positive effect to the central nervous system and centers which are responsible for the psychoemotional state is increased.
Paroxetine is quickly absorbed from the gastro-intestinal tract, and a therapeutic effect occurs faster than using other antidepressants. In most cases, the improvement of the medical symptoms of the depression occurs in 7 days after the beginning of taking Paxil.
The efficiency of the pharmacological action is not reduced on the back of the continuous prolonged therapy. A medical addiction is not developed during the use of Paxil.
Indications for the use
- Depression of any origin and severity
- generalized and post-traumaticanxiety disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Social phobias of various origins
- panic attacks
In what dose is Paxil used?
The Paxil pills are taken orally with enough water. Food does not influence on the bioavailability of Paroxetine, and therefore you can take the pills before and after meals.
In the treatment of the depression, patients are prescribed a pill of Paxil 20 mg per day. The dose may be adjusted during the treatment depending on the intensity of the medical symptoms of the depression. The dose can be adjusted every 7-14 days.
The maximal daily dose of Paxil is 50 mg per day. High doses of Paxil may be divided into 2 parts and it will be taken in the morning and evening.
The depression treatment lasts till the all symptoms disappear.
The signs of the overdose with Paxil are abnormal heart rate, a sharp drop of blood pressure, severe drowsiness, coma, vomiting, clinical signs of cirrhosis and hepatitis.
In case of the first signs of the Paxil overdose, it is necessary to have a gastric lavage and go to a physician.
- a serotonin syndrome may develop due to the simultaneous use of Paxil with MAO inhibitors, opiate analgesics and derivatives of serotonin
- do not take Paxil with tricyclic antidepressants, barbiturates, and anticonvulsive products
- do not consume alcohol-containing products during the treatment because this can lead to side effects
- avoid a sudden cessation of the use of Paxil because it causes an acute condition of the depression symptoms
- children and teenagers under 18 years old are contraindicated to take Paxil
- if you started the treatment during lactation, stop the breast-feeding because Paroxetine is released with breast milk.