What is Prevacid?
Prevacid is an antiulcer product, proton pump inhibitor. The drug contains Lansoprazole. This ingredient interacts with the cells of stomach where a secretion of hydrochloric acid is produced. A final stage of the synthesis of hydrochloric acid is blocked within 6-12 hours.
A therapeutic effect grows within 4 days. A basal and stimulated secretion of hydrochloric acid is gradually reduced regardless of the type of the irritation of the receptors. The use of Prevacid in therapeutic doses within 5-7 days, a synthesis of acid drops by 80-95%. The gastric motor activity is not affected during such significant reduction of the secretion of the gastric acid. Even a long-term use of the capsules does not slow the intestinal motility, does not cause a digestion disorder and other side effects.
A secretory activity is completely restored within a week after the end of the therapy.
Who should take Prevacid?
Prevacid is prescribed patients with diseases of the gastro-intestinal tract that may be intensified because of the high secretion of the gastric acid. These are:
- Stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer
- Reflux esophagitis
- Formation of ulcers on the stomach and intestinal mucosa during the administration of NSAIDs or during stress
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
The use of Prevacid accelerates the treatment and quickly restored a mucous of the gastro0intestinal tract during the antibacterial therapy of Helicobacter pylori.
How to take Prevacid?
Prevacid is produced in capsules for the oral use. The capsules are entirely swallowed without chewing it. A destruction of the external coat of the capsule may reduce a final effect of certain dose. A dose varies in certain medical case.
To treat stomach ulcer and duodenum ulcer, Prevacid is used in the dose of 30 mg per day, in the morning, before meals, within 2-4 weeks. A dose is increased by two times – up to 60 mg – in case of the acute attacks of the disease.
To treat ulcerous affections as a result of the use of NSAIDS or stress, Prevacid is also prescribed in the dose of 30 mg per day but within 8 weeks.
If refluxe esophagitis, the use of Prevacid 30 mg may take up to 6 months depending on the severity of the disease and efficiency of the antisecretion therapy.
Old patients do not adjust the dose if they do not have contraindications.
What are side effects?
If you are taking Prevacid for the first time, some side effects may occur within a week: low appetite, nausea, high level of bilirubin in the blood, and lack of energy.
Some side effects may appear in every patient but in most cases they are light and do not cause a physiological discomfort.
- Take the capsules of Prevacid with clear water only. Do not use juice, milk, or fizzy drinks.
- Avoid alcohol consumption, spicy food and other products that may cause an acute attack of the gastro-intestinal tract diseases during the treatment
- The use of Prevacid is contraindicated during malignant neoplasms
- The drug is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation
- There are some medicines the efficiency of which may be affected during the simultaneous use with Prevacid, and therefore if you take other medical products, find out about their medical interactions.