The most progressive and available method of the treatment of the androgenetic alopecia is an administration of the medical products. Propecia can completely stop a hair loss without complicated surgeries.
Propecia is a non-steroid hormone drug which is used for the treatment of the androgenetic alopecia. It contains an active ingredient Finasteride. Propecia inhibits enzyme 5-alpha-reductase which turns testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. As a result of the decreased level of dihydrotestosterone, a negative action to the hair follicles is reduced and the growth of healthy and strong hair is restored.
A stable therapeutic effect occurs in 3 months during the regular use of Propecia, and it grows during the further treatment. On the average, hair grows by 1 cm per month, and therefore at least 6 months are required to completely restore hair. The decreased level of dihydrotestosterone helps to reduce an inflammation of tissues of the prostatic gland, and therefore Propecia is used for the prevention of prostatitis.
Indications for the use
- Prevention and treatment of androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness)
- Prevention of benign prostatic hyperplasia
In what dose is Propecia used?
Men are recommended to begin the alopecia treatment from the minimal daily dose – Propecia 1 mg. The pills of Propecia 1 mg should be used entirely, without chewing or breaking a pill in order to keep the external cover of the pill. The pills are taken before and after meals because food does not influence on the bioavailability of Finasteride.
If a result is not noticed within 3-4 weeks of taking Propecia 1 mg, and the intensity of the hair loss is kept, the daily dose may be increased. The maximal effective dose of Propecia is 5 mg per day. The higher doses can be used but the result will be the same as during the use of the daily dose of Propecia 5 mg. The alopecia treatment may take 6-12 months depending on the intensity of the hair growth and sensitivity to Finasteride. In 12 months the treatment is ceased in order to control the results.
Propecia is absolutely safe from enevenin high doses. The signs of the overdose have not been recorded even during the increased maximal everyday dose of Propecia by 10 times.
- Finasteride provides specific pharmacological action, and therefore it does not influence on metabolism and pharmacological characteristics of other medical products
- There is a chance that using Propecia with androgenic hormones can reduce the efficiency of the hormones, however every case of the medical interaction should be considered individually
- Propecia is not prescribed men under 16 years old and women because this drug can cause a reversible hormone disorder in this category of patients
- The use of Propecia can cause skin allergic diseases in rare cases. The treatment is terminated during the appearance of the first signs of allergy
- If hepatic failure, patients should carefully take Propecia and only in minimal dose of 1 mg.