The pharmaceutical industry produces new medicines with unique characteristics every year to treat depression. But all of them are ineffective in comparison with Prozac. This antidepressant has been used for the depression treatment for many years and can be called the most successful medicines for the depression treatment.
Prozac is one of the most popular antidepressants in the world. It is so popular that it is often mentioned in literature, and movies. It contains an active ingredient Fluoxetine which is considered one of the best antidepressants of all time. Prozac improves mood, sleep, appetite, energy, and can restore an interest at the everyday life.
The use of Prozac also helps to reduce different fears, and remove anxiety, reduce the amount of the panic attacks and block negative thoughts. Moreover, Prozac is able to reduce the symptoms of PMS: irritation, high appetite, and depression.
The mechanism of the action of Prozac consists in the selective serotonin inhibition. It does not bind to other receptors in the central nervous system, has a narrow action and is well tolerated. If we consider the entire assortment of the modern antidepressants, Prozac will be one of the safest drugs. It seldom causes side effects and does not cause a medical addiction.
Indications for the use
- Treatment and prevention of depression
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Mental eating disorders: bulimia, anorexia
- Panic attacks
- Prevention and relief of symptoms of premenstrual cycle in women
In what dose is Prozac used?
If depression signs appear, patients are prescribed a pill of Prozac 20 mg per day. The pills are used in the morning or in the evening (before sleeping) with a full glass of water.
A therapeutic action is developed within 2-3 weeks. In 3 weeks of the treatment, the estimation of the efficiency of Prozac can be done, and a dosage regimen may be adjusted.
If using Prozac 20 mg provides a poor antidepressive effect, the dose is increased by 20 mg every week up to having the optimal therapeutic effect. The maximal daily dose of Prozac is 80 mg.
The high doses of Prozac are divided into 2-3 times for better uptake and reduction of the side effects. The course of the treatment should last for about 3 months to achieve a stable antidepressive effect.
The main symptoms of the overdose with Prozac areconvulsions, drowsiness, nausea, tachycardia, respiratory depression, and vomiting. Go to a doctor and have a symptomatic therapy during these symptoms.
The overdose with Prozac may cause coma and death if a medical intervention is not provided.
- The simultaneous use of Prozac with drugs increasing the level of serotonin may cause a serotonin syndrome and side effects
- A high concentration of phenytoin has been detected during the medical studies. Prozac interacts with it and can even cause an intoxication
- MAO inhibitors can cause side effects during the use with Prozac
- Prozac is contraindicated during atony of bladder, severe glaucoma, benign prostatic hyperplasia, severe kidney disease, and epilepsy.
- Prozac is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation
- The use of Prozac enhances the level of glucose in the blood, and therefore patients with pancreatic diabetes should be careful during the treatment