What is Tegretol?
Tegretol is a medical product which has an antiepileptic action. This product is used during the therapy of epilepsy and helps to effectively control the frequency of the seizures.
Its active ingredient Carbamazepine is not completely studied, and therefore an exact mechanism of the action can’t be really determined. It is just known that it provides a neurotropic and psychotropic action besides antiepileptic action.
It is considered that Tegretol stabilizes membranes of the overexcited neurons, inhibits serial discharges of neurons and reduces a synaptic transmission of the exciting pulses.
The pharmacological action of the drug is not completely studied yet but there is data that it has a positive influence on the symptoms of anxiety and depression, and it also reduces irritancy and aggression.
Who should take Tegretol?
Tegretol has a broad action, and therefore it may be used not only in the treatment of epilepsy but also during other disorders of the central nervous system:
- Organic mood disorders
- Depressive episode
- Panic disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve
- Neuralgia and neuritis, unspecified
- Unspecified muscle cramps and spasms
How to take Tegretol?
Tegretol is produced in the pills for the oral use. They should be used during or after meals, with some water. A dosing schedule depends on a type of a disease and intensity of the symptoms, as well as on medicines it is going to be prescribed with. As a combined therapy, a dose of Tegretol is usually lower and is set by a physician.
If monotherapy of epilepsy, Tegretol is used in the dose of 100 mg 1-2 times per day. If there are no intensive side effects within a week, a dose is gradually increased up to 800-2000 mg per day. High daily doses are divided into 3 parts and are taken with the same interval.
If neuralgia, Tegretol is used in the dose of 200 mg per day, and a daily dose is gradually increased up to 800 mg per day dividing it into 3-4 times.
If acute state of the mental disorders, anxiety, or bipolar disorders, Tegretol is used in a high dose of 1200-1600 mg per day. After having an optimal therapeutic effect, a dose is gradually reduced up to 400-600 mg per day.
What are side effects?
Individual reactions to the use of Tegretol often appear during the high sensitivity to Carbamazepine. These are light or moderate side effects that do not give discomfort.
The use of Tegretol may be accompanied by dizziness, ataxia, general fatigue, bad mood, high aggression, and light tachycardia.
The side effects are light and pass within 2-3 weeks during the correct dose.
- Using Tegretol, there is a risk of a decrease of platelets or white blood cells. Therefore, it is necessary to regularly check the functions of the blood-forming organs during the treatment
- Senior patients and patients with diseases of liver have to control and examine the functions of liver in order to avoid a development of hepatitis
- The use of Tegretol is not recommended during glaucoma
- If you have taken MAO inhibitors, at least 2 weeks should pass before starting the use of Tegretol.