Bronchial asthma is a severe disease of the respiratory system which is characterized by the narrowing of the airway tracts. Some asthmatics experience light and seldom attacks of the disease, and others suffer from the prolonged bronchospasms and face danger every day. In order to control the attacks of bronchospasms you can use Ventolin.
Ventolin dilates airway tracts and prevents a development of an acute attack of bronchospasm. It contains an active ingredient Salbutamol which is an agonist of beta2-adrenoceptrs.
Ventolin is a bronchodilator of a fast action, and therefore it is often used to reduce an acute bronchospasm and attacks of the pulmonary obstructive disease. It stimulates beta2-adreoceptors of bronchi, so that the smooth muscle fibers are dilated in the walls of the respiratory tracts. Ventolin helps to avoid an acute bronchospasm and relieve breathing even during the interaction with allergen or during physical activity.
Salbutamol is able to slow down a release of histamine, leukotrienes and other biologically active ingredients which take part in the development of the allergic bronchospasm.
Indications for the use
- Relief of an acute attack of bronchospasm
- Therapy of obstructive pulmonary disease
- Treatment and prevention of chronic bronchitis
In what dose is Ventolin used?
Ventolin is used in the form of powder for inhalations and aerosol in the therapy of the bronchial asthma and pulmonary obstructive disease. Metered aerosol Ventolin sprays the optimal amount of the active ingredient which is able to dilate respiratory tracts. 1 inhalation is 100 mcg of the active ingredient Salbutamol. To reduce an acute attack of bronchospasm, it is necessary to have 1-2 inhalations of Ventolin during the first signs of the narrowing of the respiratory tracts.
To prevent bronchospasm during the interaction with allergen or before physical activity, use 1-2 inhalations of Ventolin 15-20 minutes before the interaction with causing factor.
The reduction of the daily dose is not needed for children.
Ventolin may be used 4 times per day with the interval minimum 4 hours.
The overdose with Ventolin can cause an acute condition of bronchospasm or severe form of tachycardia, arrhythmia, and stenocardia. Even insignificant increase of the daily dose can be dangerous for a patient, and therefore it is contraindicated to take more than 800 mcg of Ventolin per day.
- If you are using Ventolin, do not take none-selective beta-adrenoceptors such as Propranolol
- Theophylline and drugs from the group of xanthine (caffeine and theobromine) may enhance the intensity of the side effects in the cardiovascular system during the interaction with Ventolin
- Before using Ventolin make sure that you know how to correctly use inhaler and read an instruction for the use
- Children under 2 years old are not prescribed Ventolin
- Ventolin may be contraindicated patients with severe diseases of the cardiovascular system (tachycardia, stenocardia, ischemic heart disease, heart failure). If you have heart issues, consult a cardiologist before using Ventolin.