There is an opinion that a depression should not be treated, and it is enough to change a lifestyle in order to improve a psychological state. But this is not true. Depression should be treated as any other psychological disease in order to avoid complications. Zoloft will better cope with the depression symptoms.
Zoloft is a strong specific serotonin reuptake inhibitor in neurons of the central nervous system. It contains an active ingredient Sertraline approved by FDA for the treatment of depression and panic disorders.
According to the data of the World Health Organization, Zoloft is added to a list of the best antidepressants on the pharmaceutical market. It quickly acts, copes with the symptoms of the severe depression, and does not cause side effects in the cardiovascular system.
Zoloft improves mood, reduces melancholy and groundless concern, and increases a stressful threshold. Zoloft does not cause a sedative or sleeping action in therapeutic doses.
Indications for the use
- Treatment and prevention of Depression
- Treatment of depression, accompanied by anxiety
- Relief of symptoms of panic disorder
- Treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder
In what dose is Zoloft used?
The Zoloft tablets are used once per day in the morning or evening. Food does not influence on the bioavailability of Sertraline. The tablets are taken with a full glass of water, and more water should be used during the treatment.
The depression treatment begins with a minimal dose of Zoloft 50 mg per day. If any therapeutic effect is absent and an emotional state of a patient is not improved within 10-14 days, the dose should be gradually increased. The dose of Zoloft is increased by 25 mg every 7 days. The maximal daily dose of Zoloft is 200 mg two times (Zoloft 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the evening).
To reduce panic attacks, it is recommended to take Zoloft 25 mg or Zoloft 50 mg once per day.
Having a stable therapeutic effect, the dose of Zoloft is gradually reduced and the treatment is completely stopped. A sudden cessation of the use of Zoloft may lead to the acute condition of the depression.
Severe symptoms have not been detected during the overdose with Zoloft but there is a risk of a serotonin syndrome development (vomiting, tachycardia, agitation, dizziness, psychomotor agitation, diarrhea).
- If you began to take Zoloft, it is necessary to refuse from the use of other antidepressants from the group of serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- At least 14 days should pass between the use of Zoloft and MAO inhibitors
- Products affecting the central nervous system including ethanol can cause side effects during the interaction with Zoloft
- There are no controlled results of taking Zoloft by pregnant women, and therefore this medicine may be used only in rare cases and under doctor’s supervision
- Children under 7 years old are contraindicated to take Zoloft
- Patients with organic affections of the brain may be not allowed taking Zoloft. Consult a doctor to specify all details.