An abnormal agitation or inhibition of neurons in the central nervous system may cause bizarre feelings (pain) and resistant emotional disorder (depression). To restore a chemical balance in the brain and a normal work of neurons, doctors recommend to take Cymbalta.
Cymbalta is an antidepressant of the new generation with balanced pharmacological action. Itinhibits reuptake of serotonin, noradrenaline, and softly inhibits a repeated uptake of dopamine. This is one of few antidepressants which has a balanced stimulating and sedative action.
Cymbalta includes Duloxetine. This is not a new antidepressant but it excels many drugs used for the treatment of depression 5-10 years ago by the efficiency and safety. Cymbalta provides an intense antidepressive action, mild anti-anxiety and sedative action, and has analgesic characteristics. The mechanism of the inhibition of the painful syndrome is related to the increase of the pain threshold and reduction of the agitation of the neurons in the central nervous system.
Doctors distinguish a good tolerance of Cymbalta. The side effects appear is rare cases, usually in case of the overdose. Despite a stimulating action, Cymbalta does not cause a medical addiction.
Indications for the use
- Permanent and episodic neuropathic pain
- Depression of any severity
- Anxiety on the background of a long depression
- Generalized anxiety disorder
In what dose is Cymbalta used?
A systemic evaluation of the pharmacological characteristics of Cymbalta has allowed to detect the most optimal dosage regimen for the treatment of depression and neuropathic pain:
- The minimum daily dose of Cymbalta – 60 mg
- The maximum daily dose of Cymbalta – 120 mg
The treatment should be started from the minimal daily dose of Cymbalta 60 mg regardless of the form of depression. But if there is no significant result of the treatment within 2-3 weeks, a dose can be increased up to 2 pills of Cymbalta 60 mg (in the morning and evening).
The use of Cymbalta 60 mg in the morning does not cause a severe sleepiness within a day but potentially dangerous activity should be avoided.
The overdose may occur during a one-time use of more than 300 mg Cymbalta or during the use of the drugs with similar pharmacological action.
The overdose symptoms with Cymbalta are serotonin syndrome, somnolence, vomiting, and clonic seizures. If the overdose is suspected, it is necessary to have a gastric lavage and observe over a patient’s state. A hospitalization is needed during the development of serotonin syndrome.
- Do not take Cymbalta with other drugs which influence on the functions of the central nervous system (sedatives, antidepressants, narcotic analgesics)
- If you are taking Cymbalta, it is necessary to refuse from beverage drinks and ingredients containing ethanol
- Cymbalta is strictly contraindicated with MAO inhibitors because the probability of the serotonin syndrome is increased by several times
- Cymbalta is not prescribed children under 18 years old and pregnant women
- There is a chance of suicidal thoughts in the first 10 days of taking Cymbalta. If these signs appear, a patient should be controlled during this period
- If a patient had an acute attack of glaucoma during the treatment, it is recommended to stop taking Cymbalta and consult a doctor.